and Data Loggers

You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Software EN
  •  » Software for loggers - not running without administrative priviledges

#1 07-10-2014 14:40:12

Jivo

Software for loggers - not running without administrative priviledges

I have installed the software version Logger-4.0.9.1_dbapi-10.0.10.0.exe on Windows Vista SP2 x86.
Software installed from administative account will not run under standard user account.

Please comment.

#2 07-10-2014 15:41:09

MichalV
Administrator

Re: Software for loggers - not running without administrative priviledges

Hello Jivo,

I can't analyze your problem because I have little information. Could you specify problem of program start?
Does the attempt of program start generate error message/dialog and what is the message?
Please check, if system process list contains process logger.exe. If yes, kill it.

Mike

#3 07-10-2014 16:23:59

Jivo

Hello Mike,

Thanks for quick reply.

The application simply does not start, but generates an uninformative general error saying that application has failed to start, and that Windows will inform me if solution is found. If I promote the user to a local admnistrator, application starts normally.

This should be easy to reproduce for you locally. On the other hand, I would have to visit the user, demote him to standard user, test, make snapshots, then revert to the working setup again..... If you insist - I'll do it, but it would probably not do wonders for our visibility ;-)

I can tell you that there is nothing usefull in system or application log, other than the fact that logger.exe has failed to start. Giving read/write access to application folder or SQL Express folder did  not make any differenece. Duing the process I have only learned that configuration set is not persistant on machine, but has to be set for each user separately - which might not be the intended behaviour - certainly not in environments where more than one user work in shifts.

Best regards,
Ivo

#4 07-10-2014 16:33:07

Jivo

Hi Mike,
I've gained access to Event log - here is what happens if I start the application without administrative privileges:
------------------
Faulting application logger.exe, version 4.0.9.1, time stamp 0x2a425e19, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 6.0.6000.21010, time stamp 0x49951e1e, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0004fc9c, process id 0x37c, application start time 0x01cfe2121b8a42fc.
------------------

Starting the application with "Run As Administrator" also produces the same result.

BR,
Ivo

#5 07-10-2014 17:24:56

MichalV
Administrator

Hi Ivo,

I can't reproduce it. But I think it's problem with access to registry keys and/or data folders.
First I recommend install the newest software version (4.0.12.6, see http://www.cometsystem.com/products/reg-SWR001#download).
If reinstall doesn't help, please check following keys and folders for access rights:
HKCU\Software\CometLoggers\Logger and subkeys (read, write)
HKLM\Software\CLSec CS Limited (read)
HKLM\Software\CometLoggers\Logger (read)
C:\ProgramData\CometLoggers\Logger and subfolders (read, write)

Please report results back. Thank you.

Mike

#6 07-10-2014 17:47:45

Jivo

Hello Mike,

If you can't reproduce it - it is a good news. This means that we can make it work.

HKCU\Software\CometLoggers\Logger and subkeys - full control (inherited)
HKLM\Software\CLSec CS Limited - read (by membership in local users group
HKLM\Software\CometLoggers\Logger - read (by membership in local users group
C:\ProgramData\CometLoggers\Logger and subfolders - full controll (by membership in local users group)

Obviously we don't have access rights issue. What about SQL Express access rights?

I am going to try to upgrade to the latest version now, and report back.

BR,
Ivo

#7 07-10-2014 18:02:51

Jivo

I have installed the latest version (it seems that it changed from 4.0.11.x to 4.0.12.x since this afternoon), but again it does not work.

The initial splash screen pops up, it reports loading Main Form on the bottom of the dialog, then loading something else (too quick to tell), and it finally ends up in dialog saying: Datalogger progam with database has stopped working.

BR,
Ivo

#8 07-10-2014 18:58:34

Jivo

Mike, I've solved it ..... although I am still puzzled.

UAC has been disabled. The moment I have activated UAC, logger.exe started without a problem.
I can't imagine why it helped, because logger does not ask for elevation - but the important thing is that it helped.

Thanks,
Ivo

• Index
  •  » Software EN
  •  » Software for loggers - not running without administrative priviledges

Board footer