Discussion forum about Comet system products

Temperature, Humdity,

Pressure Transmitters

and Data Loggers

You are not logged in.

#1 25-06-2020 10:16:09

Daz Jones

Latest Firmware for T3520

Hi, we have a T3520 which was purchased before I joined the company. It's been in storage for a few years but we now have a customer requirement where it will be used. I was tasked in setting this device up as I'm the domain administrator here.

Whenever I make a change to the device using either the Tsensor software or the web interface, I lose the device from the network and have to perform a factory reset (which is very annoying) and start again. For this reason, I thought it would be a good idea to update the firmware before any further attempts are made. However, I cannot find a download area for firmware, nor can I find instructions. can anyone help please? I am hoping that a firmware update will overcome the other issue (of losing the device on the network when I make a change).

Thanks in advance

Daz

#2 26-06-2020 10:17:53

HonzaD
Administrator

Re: Latest Firmware for T3520

Hi Daz,

I suppose that you are talking about T3510 because we not offer device with name T3520.

Can you describe exact steps which you have done when you configured device from web (changing IP address, changing subnet mask, gateway, etc.)? Do you use static IP address or DHCP? What is your LAN range which you expect that will be used with device? Do you use "standard subnet mask" feature? What is serial number of your device and what firmware version is inside?

Generally speaking I don't know about any firmware issue inside T3510 which could cause similar behaviour (losing device from network after changing of IP address). Similar behaviour can be explained in case you not have properly configured your switch (e.g. not properly set VLANs at your managed 2 or 3 layer switch).

Jan

#3 29-06-2020 09:27:21

Daz Jones

Hi Jan, thanks for the reply. Sorry for the typo, yes, I meant T3510.

The good news is that all is fine now but for completeness:

Initially I had the device connected directly to a PC (peer-to-peer)
I used the web interface to change the device to DHCP then connected it to our network.
I was unable to see the device from the DNS server (all security filters temporarily disabled) so had no idea what IP address it had obtained.
I repowered the device but no luck.
I then tried using an IP scanner (software) using the range for our network and also the default factory range. No luck.
I also tried to capture ARP packets by repowering the device again. Still no luck.
I then tried the Tsensor software but I still couldn't find the device in our network.
I performed a factory reset, but this time put one of my client PCs to 192.168.1.100 (rather than peer to peer). I connected using the web interface and changed the IP address to a static one. I didn't use the "standard subnet mask" feature. (We have a class B network.)
I used the web interface again but set the IP address to a safe, unused static one.
Again, the device disappeared from our network even though I knew what IP address I'd used (I'd changed the client PC settings back) and also tried from another PC. I left a "ping -t" command running and went to do some different work. When I  returned some time later, the device was visible. I used the web interface and changed the host name of the device.
Again, I lost the device on the network. I left another "ping -t" command running and went off to perform other work again. When I returned, the device was visible.
I continued to make changes, one by one.

Serial no is 16964337
Firmware is 1-5-7-2.1153 / 1.40

So, to conclude, all is well and I'm really pleased (now I know to leave the device alone after making certain changes). In fact, if we win this business we're bidding for, we'll be buying 2 more devices from you.

Many thanks

Daz

#4 29-06-2020 14:18:43

HonzaD
Administrator

Hi Daz,

I haven't seen similar issue ever, although we sold few thousands of Tx5xx devices. Your firmware is not latest version, latest version is 1-5-7-4 or 1-5-7-5. But at your version 1-5-7-2 is not listed any bug similar yours. I am not sure what is going on at your case. If you will have still issue, you can send your device to investigation into our service department.
If you want to know what is going on, you can mirror port at your switch and use Wireshark to sniff what is going on.

Few additional informations. Maybe it can help somehow:

- In case of device have set DHCP and device is not able to obtain IP address from DHCP server, IP address is obtained by AutoIP feature. Timeout for DHCP response is 12sec and device will do three attempts to obtain IP from DHCP server.
- For device discovery are is used UDP protocol (broadcast and unicast) at port 30718. This protocol is used by TSensor software.
- As DHCP hostname are used first 8 characters of device name.
- In case of DHCP is enabled, IP address is obtained after power-on (reset) of the device. That means if you changing device between subnets it may be required device reset.
- In case of device detect conflict of IP addresses, device is restarted automatically.

Jan

Board footer